Thursday, March 25, 2010

7 Tips How NOT to Get A Sore Throat



For the past 2 weeks, I can say Singapore's weather has been erratic, very unpredictable. You can have a strong sunshine in the morning, and heavy downpour in the afternoon. Then, the sun comes out again. Then, these 2 weeks, I also have quite a lot of friends, who are having sore throat. They are having sore throat together! But fortunately, I don't have it :D

This gets me into thinking, what's the real reason my friends are getting sore throat, one by one? Is it because of the weather? Is it because of daily habits? Is it because of diet?

Hmm... I'm not very sure too. But I know having sore throat is not somebody wants (unless the person is dying to get it, so he can stay away from work). Sore throat makes your voice more 'sexier', rough, hollow, and tends to cough. Sometimes, you may feel pain when swallowing food.

Alright, I'm not a doctor, so I do not prescribe medicine, or give you prescription to heal your throat. But we know we can get rid of our sore throat by taking some lozenges or fruit juice. Only when things got worse, then we might see the doctor.

Instead of thinking how to heal sore throat when you get it, why not we look at how we can NOT get a sore throat ? (a.k.a Prevention is Better than Cure)

Here are 7 tips to help you:

1) If you are taking Fried and Spicy Food,  drink a lot, a lot of water after that. You may take other drinks (coke/coffee) while eating these foods, but remember to drink water after that. If you don't, your throat will dry up, your body will start to heat up.  I will drink until I feel that I'm not feeling heaty and thirsty anymore.

2) If you're staying up late at night, try to drink water also. I do sleep late at night, around 1-2 am. But I keep a bottle beside me, so I can keep drinking. If you do stay up late, you'll notice that your mouth is very dry (even if you didn't talk to anyone). Moments later, you'll find that your throat is getting dry too. You may have difficulty talking. Yes. Your cells are already dying, and you need water!!

3) Of course, if possible, don't always stay up so late. It's not good for health either. :D

4) No matter what drinks you take, drink water to flush it down your throat. I noticed it myself. When you drink coffee, tea, fruit juice, tomato soup, mushroom soup... there will be some liquid of it left in your throat. It will stay there, unless you flush it down with water. And if it stays long enough, your throat will feel uncomfortable.

5) If you're someone who talks a lot (cheerful person), or have to talk alot (public speaker), drink a lot of water . Drink every 10-15 mins, just before your mouth dries up. I once talk for almost 2 hours in a car without drinking water ('cos I don't have it in the car), and I feel pain talking after that. Sore throat comes the next day. Haha!

6) If the weather is hot, keep drinking water, even if you need to go to the toilet 100 times, it's still better from suffering from dehydration. If weather is cold, do continue to drink too. Your body still needs water, to hydrate your body.

7) Take more liquid food, i.e. soup-based food, and less of dry food, i.e. biscuits. More liquid fruits like Watermelons, Papaya, and less heaty fruits, like durian, jackfruit...

* *Did you see I mention a lot about 'water'? Yes. I'm a huge fan of water, because I can't live without it, and so are you! Find out more about water here! (opens in new tab)


There you go! 7 tips to help you Not to get a sore throat.

Of course, make these tips your daily habits, so you wont have to worry about sore throat again.

Stay healthy guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails