Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Ah ma...part 4

My grandma used to tell us 3 brothers, not to fight, not to fight, give way to each other. I think she had said at least a million times, when she onced bathed us when we were babies, till we become old enough to think, when my big bro go army, when i enter jc..

She bought my 1st leather wallet, my 1st bicycle, my 1st gameboy, my 1st gameboy light,my 1st gamboy colour, my 1st digimon, 2nd digimon when it was stolen, my 1st tamiya car, my 1st pro-yo, and alot more...

Whenever i visit her, she will ask if i had eaten. If not, she will quickly cook up some dish to fill up my stomach. She can really cook up anything. Give her some flour, water, and she can fry a kueh for afternoon supper. Whenever she had finished cooking the dinner, she will always call us to eat, n not to wait any longer. When we always say ' dan dan (wait)' , she will wait a while, maybe after 5 min, will call us to eat again. I missed that.

When we say wait again, she will be frustrated, and nag at us for not eating, n letting the food cold is not nice to eat alr. Then, we will only start eating, and ah ma will fill our plates with lots of food, and tell us to eat bao bao. After Dinner, she will bring out watermelons, or cut fruits.

After that, she will again bring out snack like biscuits, crackers to us. The thing is, she doesnt want to eat all these fruits and crackers, and always says she does not have strong teeth. However,we can see that she just want us to eat, n not get hungry overnight. n Tats why u see us 3 brothers become so tall, big sized.

We were all fed by our ah ma when we grow up. All 3 of us went to TAF clubs from pri school days. I went in from P2 till sec 4. HAHA. 8 yrs. LOL. Cant lose weight?. yea. My ah ma food is just too nice to control. They are not oily or fried stuffs. Its just tat i eat alot more for each dish.

Sometimes I wonder, why ppl say small kids dun like to eat vege, or they got the bad habit of not eating dinner. From wat i perceive, its not tat they dun like vege, or not eating dinner, is that the vege doesnt taste nice, or the food is just not nice. In order words, We 3 are just very fortunate tat ah ma fed us up, till we are bigger and taller than her.

When im in my pri sch days, ah ma used to fetch me from sch, if i have violin lessons tat day. She will meet me in my school canteen. Remember, that time not everybody got a phone. However, i still managed to find my ahma, and she still managed to find me everytime she say she will meet me.

SHe will carry my violin down for me, and has already prepared my lunch. It is contained in a metal food container, usually fishball noodles or porridge. Its just taste very nice. I will always eat so fast tat ah ma wil ask me to slow down. EAt slowly, no need to rush.

After eating, she will bring me to my violin class, and tell me not to run away, when class end. She will sit outside n wait for me. After my lesson, i will always run to ah ma, and she will bring me home. She would have a bao for me then, to ask if im hungry. It will usually be chao shao bao, or meat bao.

Every Chinese New Year eve, without fail, i will stay over at ah ma hse, will help her wash the kitchen, the living room, the corridors. I will help her decorate the house, prepare sweets, puttng them into containers, open up packets of drinks to get ready to serve relatives the next day.
She will then wake up very early in the morning, to get ready the food, especially, Red Dates Soup ( Ang zo Teh). That's just superb. It used Charcoal to cook. All the ang bao she give, doesnt come with ang bao. ''??". meaning she just give us cash, n say she just want us to listen to her, n not to argue among each other.

When all the relatives come, she is very happy. She always makes sure she serves them to the best, and will never go home hungry. And This year, only this year, 2008, due to stupid deployment in apd, i cant celebrate my 1st day of chinese new year. However, i still managed to stay ah ma hse the whole day on the 2nd day.

Alot of people console me, by saying she has gone to a better place. True, she has gone to a better place. She doesnt have to suffer the pain of being a stroke patient, she doesnt have to take further medication. She doesnt have to wake up early to do chores. She left with everything in the house still intact, including the wok she used to cook for almost 40 years, the coffee maker she used for 20+ years, the chairs she sat on the day she stayed in hdb(1978), and alot more things.One thing i can say, She left with a smile. She did not smile, even once, when she was in the hospital. However, SHE Smiled on the day She left us.

Ah ma, I will always remember you, always. You have successfully fed us 3 brothers up, and you have done more than being a grandma. You guide us. You teach us. You never scold us. Sometimes, you rather see us be happy, than you yourself are.

You rather let us enjoy the good food before you try. You never let us do the chores, as you want us to relax, but sometimes we still insisit. You never let us go hungry. You tell us, not to complain how messy our home is, as it is fortunate that we got a house to live in. You tell us, not to fight, or argue with each other, and always tell us to give in to each other.

You tell us not to argue or be fussy over small things. If others want to have it, let them have it. You tell us not to worry about exams, as Ah Gong will bless us, and will make sure we do well. You tell me not to worry about your driving test day, as Ah gong will make sure I pass. True enough, I pass, despite nearly meeting an accident.

My 1st dream after getting my license, is to drive to Your house, and fetch you, to come over to my house to have dinner. I made it. My 2nd dream, is to ask you to attend my wedding, and let you be a Great Grandma. I did not managed to do it.

Ah ma, rest in peace. I will always, always, remember you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails