Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I got a local U degree. What am I afraid of?

What am I afraid of ?

Wow. The people who give me this answer somehow tell me that their degree is quite Big, quite Powerful ah! I got some friends who tell me this. They are from the local University. They think that with local university degree, they are untouchable in the future.

Nope. I'm not saying all local university undergrads are that proud and arrogant. Nope. I have friends, who are in local uni, and I always enjoyed talking to them openly, with their open minds. We share views and always talk it out whatever there are in our minds. However, it's the small number of 'arrogant' friends I dislike. They become proud when they are able to get into a course when their friends can't get in. They try to be arrogant, asking people, 'What kind of scholarship should I get? This $20,000 one, or overseas one?'' or '' Should I take Law only, or a Double Degree with Law and others?'' etc... when others can't get even in.

Wow. I think everybody got these kind of friends. Sometimes we just smile back, or just give a cool answer like ''I think this is better... If I were you, I would...", just to entertain their arrogance. I once did that too. But I got a different approach now:D

So What? So what you have a local U degree? So what you have a scholarship? So what?
Their reason is with a local U degree, they have good job prospects, they can get good jobs. With a scholarship, they are secured a job after graduation, they can get promoted, and get pay rise.
I agree with that 2 years ago, when I just finished my A level education. But now, not anymore.

After this Greatest Crisis that hit almost every country, especially the world's biggest economies which includes USA, Japan, China, I came to realise how 'valuable' a degree is. When the crisis hit, there are news of scholarship being canceled by companies. There are also news of fresh graduates not able to get jobs. There are also news of graduates being hit the most. People said this is the worst year to graduate! JUST GO GRAB ANY JOB!!

Wow. this sounds scary yea! That's the answer! So what you have a Local U degree?

Poop! another objection appears.
'' Yes! But Im still studying now, and by the time I graduated, the economy has recovered and I can get my dream job! and my scholarship won't get canceled. So even if the ecomony is bad now, by the time I graduate, it will be booming!''

I agree with that objection, but to certain extent. Yes. You will get your dream job, you will get higher pay, as the economy has recovered, and maybe its booming. But my answer, So What?
In Economics, after every recession, there's a boom, and after every boom, there's a recession. It just goes on and on. It's a cycle! Looking at previous records, a recession happens in every 8-10
years.

So what you are still studying now? So what you have not graduated? So what by the time you graduated is a boom, and able to get high salary?

Are you able to guarantee there will not be a recession happening in 8-10 years time? Are you prepared to face the recession when it happens? But the scary thing is this...

During the boom, you ask for a pay rise, you can get high salary. You are doing well, and may have been promoted a few times during this boom. However, when recession happens, who do you think the boss will ask to 'Go' first?

Of cause is the one who gets paid the most!. He will do a bonus cut first, then salary cut, then if things get worse, the highest paid needs to go. Why? Because he can always get someone to do the same job at a lower pay, and not so demanding too, as economy will be bad that time. He can use foreign talents, from China and India, when their pay demands are not so high as locals.

And when these talents come in, where do Singaporeans stand? Stand by the side lo. Then when they still got their degrees to show off, what happen? They got to fight with fresh graduates who enter the job market! Bosses prefer fresh graduates during bad times, as fresh graduates are always asked not to be demanding, take whatever offer they are given, and just do the job.

HaHa. What about the Singaporeans who are retrenched, but with Big Local U degrees they show off when they are studying? Will bosses choose them? Depends. They have higher demands of pay, especially they have worked before. They got local U degrees! But when did they got the degree? 5 years ago? 10 years ago?

Every bosses know that things that are taught in University becomes Obselete by the time they graduate. Yes. Its useless, or irrelevant by the time they graduate. Worse, their degrees are 10 yrs old degrees. If you are the boss, which kind of knowledge do you need? The latest knowledge, or the knowledge 10 years ago?

When you see what windows 98 is, and what apple software "Snow Leopard" is now, you will know how big the difference is.

However, no matter how much is being said, these people are still living in their own world. They never believe this kind of things will happen to them, even though it had really happened!! (Just look at how many jobs are lost, or how many people got retrenched in this crisis. I doubt these people read the news too. They are in their own world.). They only believe it, when they got it themselves. And when that happens, why will blame the boss, blame the economy, blame the company, blame the wrong job, blame the wrong major they study, blame the wrong university they went to, blame ''Why Nobody tells him recession will occur once every 8-10 years!!".
Oops. They forget to blame themselves.

Notice in what i wrote here, I keep mention 'Local U'. Why so? It's just a simple reason. I can't stand people who are in local U, look down at people who are in private University! What's the problem with studying in private U? or the problem of NOT studying in a University? I just can't stand all those smart arrogant people from Local Uni, laughing at people from Private University.

And let me state again. I'm referring to people from local Uni, who are proud and arrogant and look down people from private uni. If even if you are from local Uni, but you are not proud and arrogant and doesn't look down people from private uni, I'm not referring to you. :D

If getting a local degree is so great to be arrogant about, a secured job, a secured career, high pay, fast promotions, think again, and maybe think twice. The world richest man in the world now, Bill Gates, didn't even finish his Harvard Education. What's makes these people so arrogant about, and just a local U degree?

Again, I'm not saying there's no point to get a local U degree. What I'm saying here is not to show off and be arrogant about just a local degree you have.

This phrase came from ACJC : "The best is yet to be". When you think you are the best, there are always people better than you out there." Arrogance will bring you no where:D

And to all my friends or people studying in private universities, Be proud that you are in that university! Never get looked down by arrogant people from local Unis anymore! I mean arrogant friends only, when they try to bring you down with their local U degrees. Don't tell it to all your friends, you will be seen arrogant instead. Haha.

I never look down people from private U, and students from private U should be proud of themselves too! Whenever I see how graduates from private U succeed in life, or business, I always like to see their stories, and tell those to my friends. Arrogant ones. Haha.

That's a long post from me. Share your comments!:D

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:23 PM

    "the best is yet to be".. haha, you put it wisely my friend. anyway, rulcool here and your blog is darn cool laa....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails